Graduate Fellowship Ensembles
The School of Music announces openings for the new Graduate Woodwind Quintet Fellowship Ensemble and Graduate Brass Quintet Fellowship Ensemble, Terrapin Brass, to start the fall semester of 2021.
Graduate fellows are provided partial tuition remission, a generous stipend and access to faculty/staff healthcare plans (this is true for all assistantships). Other benefits include:
- Leadership opportunities as School of Music ambassadors
- Community engagement and outreach activities
- Marketing and promotion of members and performances
- Expert coaching from the following faculty members:
- Chris Gekker, Trumpet (former member of American Brass Quintet)
- Gregory Miller, Horn (former member of the Empire Brass Quintet, director of the School of Music)
- Aaron LaVere, Trombone (principal trombone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra)
- David Fedderly, Tuba (former principal tuba of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra)
- Sarah Frisof, Flute (principal flute of the Dallas Winds)
- Mark Hill, Oboe (principal oboe of the National Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Robert DiLutis, Clarinet (principal clarinet of the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra)
- Joseph Grimmer, Bassoon (principal bassoon of the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra)
All graduate applicants for the Master of Music in the above instrument areas are eligible to apply as a part of their School of Music application.
Apply to the University of Maryland Graduate School and the School of Music by December 1, 2020 for consideration. Auditions will be pre-recorded and submitted online.
The School of Music also has a Graduate String Quartet Fellowship Ensemble that is currently held by the Thalea String Quartet.