TERRAPIN MUSIC CAMP
Founded in 2003, the School of Music’s Terrapin Music Camp (formerly Summer Youth Music Camp) is a week-long band, orchestra and choir day camp for musicians entering grades 5-12, held at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
Special message about 2020 camp from TMC Director, Mike Hewitt:
After much thought and consideration, the TMC leadership team has decided to cancel the 2020 Terrapin Music Camp. I know many of our campers will be disappointed, and no one is more disappointed than I am. We are all extremely disappointed and know many of our campers will be as well. However, we do not feel we would be able to put plans in place to provide adequate safety measures to allow us to maintain the high standards our campers expect and deserve.
We are already planning our return in 2021 and promise it will be an event you will NOT want to miss! We hope you will set aside the likely dates of July 18-23 for band camp and July 25-30 for choir and orchestra camp and be sure to check the TMC social media accounts, website and your email regularly for updates and announcements.
Current registrants should check their email inbox for information concerning refunds of 2020 registration fees.
See you in 2021!
Campers receive small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the University of Maryland School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland.
Each day features performances, elective classes and large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir. The week-long camp culminates in a public concert of all participants.
The camp is designed to accomplish the following goals:
- Provide participants with heightened musical experiences to enhance school and/or private instruction
- Develop musicianship and advance instrumental and vocal technique through ensemble and solo performance
- Offer elective classes that will promote awareness of multiple methods for expressing music
- Bring together students from throughout the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area to share a unique musical experience
To this end, the camp offers the following experiences:
- Large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir musicians
- Small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland
- Participation in elective music classes
- Daily performances by university faculty and professional musicians
- Culminating performance at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
Vocalists at any level and musicians with at least one year of study are welcome to join for a week of musical enrichment, growth and new opportunities.
Check back in February 2021 for camp registration information. Registrations are processed in the order in which they are received and some popular instrument areas and classes are in high demand and close quickly. Register early to ensure that a space in the camp is reserved for you!
We recommend registering with your camper present as they will need to prioritize elective class selections during the registration process and it is more complicated to do this at a later time.
Check back in February 2021 for payment information.
Note: The TMC accepts online payments only, with credit/debit cards. If you need assistance with this, please contact us.
The camp Tax ID# is 5-2600-2033