TERRAPIN MUSIC CAMP
Founded in 2003, the School of Music’s Terrapin Music Camp (formerly Summer Youth Music Camp) is a week-long band, orchestra and choir day camp for musicians entering grades 5-12, held at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
January 4, 2021
Thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland 2021 Terrapin Music Camp!
We are hopeful we will be able to host a camp this summer but to do so safely we must be in a position to follow all state, county, university and School of Music guidelines. TMC staff will evaluate current circumstances regularly throughout the coming months and post information to this website concerning camp plans.
Registration is not open and there is no date currently set to register.
If you would like to be added to an email list to be notified when new information about TMC becomes available, you can take the TMC 2021 survey. (Those who were registered for the 2020 camp will automatically be notified.)
If you have questions please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All the best,
Mike Hewitt, TMC Director
Campers receive small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the University of Maryland School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland.
Each day features performances, elective classes and large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir. The week-long camp culminates in a public concert of all participants.
The camp is designed to accomplish the following goals:
- Provide participants with heightened musical experiences to enhance school and/or private instruction
- Develop musicianship and advance instrumental and vocal technique through ensemble and solo performance
- Offer elective classes that will promote awareness of multiple methods for expressing music
- Bring together students from throughout the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area to share a unique musical experience
To this end, the camp offers the following experiences:
- Large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir musicians
- Small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland
- Participation in elective music classes
- Daily performances by university faculty and professional musicians
- Culminating performance at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
Vocalists at any level and musicians with at least one year of study are welcome to join for a week of musical enrichment, growth and new opportunities.
Check back in February 2021 for camp registration information. Registrations are processed in the order in which they are received and some popular instrument areas and classes are in high demand and close quickly. Register early to ensure that a space in the camp is reserved for you!
We recommend registering with your camper present as they will need to prioritize elective class selections during the registration process and it is more complicated to do this at a later time.
Check back in February 2021 for payment information.
Note: The TMC accepts online payments only, with credit/debit cards. If you need assistance with this, please contact us.
The camp Tax ID# is 5-2600-2033