TERRAPIN MUSIC CAMP
Founded in 2003, the School of Music’s Terrapin Music Camp (formerly Summer Youth Music Camp) is a week-long band, orchestra and choir day camp for musicians entering grades 5-12, held at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
Special message about 2020 camp from TMC Director, Mike Hewitt:
We are still accepting new registrations, making plans for the camp and looking forward to our campers joining us in July! That said, we are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and plan to follow the regulations and guidelines provided by University and government officials. As details unfold, we will keep our registered campers informed via email. You may also wish to monitor this webpage and our camp social media pages on Facebook and Twitter for updates.
Please feel free to reach out to the TMC staff if you have any questions or concerns. Note the best way to reach us at this time is via email at email@example.com.
Stay safe and we hope to see you in July.
Campers receive small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the University of Maryland School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland.
Each day features performances, elective classes and large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir. The week-long camp culminates in a public concert of all participants.
2020 Camp Dates
Band: July 19 - 24, 2020
Orchestra/Choir: July 26 - 31, 2020
The camp is designed to accomplish the following goals:
- Provide participants with heightened musical experiences to enhance school and/or private instruction
- Develop musicianship and advance instrumental and vocal technique through ensemble and solo performance
- Offer elective classes that will promote awareness of multiple methods for expressing music
- Bring together students from throughout the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area to share a unique musical experience
To this end, the camp offers the following experiences:
- Large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir musicians
- Small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland
- Participation in elective music classes
- Daily performances by university faculty and professional musicians
- Culminating performance at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
Vocalists at any level and musicians with at least one year of study are welcome to join for a week of musical enrichment, growth and new opportunities.
Registrations are processed in the order in which they are received and some popular instrument areas and classes are in high demand and close quickly. Register early to ensure that a space in the camp is reserved for you!
We recommend registering with your camper present as they will need to prioritize elective class selections during the registration process and it is more complicated to do this at a later time.
Early Registration: $375 (before February 15, 2020)
Regular Registration: $395 (February 15-June 15, 2020)
Late Registration: $435 (after June 15, 2020)
Note: The TMC accepts online payments only, with credit/debit cards. If you need assistance with this, please contact us.
Aftercare: We will offer optional aftercare from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday each week for $50.
Refund Policy: Refunds are available prior to June 15, 2020, though a $100 service fee will be applied.
The camp Tax ID# is 5-2600-2033