TERRAPIN MUSIC CAMP
Founded in 2003, the School of Music’s Terrapin Music Camp (formerly Summer Youth Music Camp) is a week-long band, orchestra and choir day camp for musicians entering grades 5-12, held at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center.
March 26, 2021
After much consideration, the Terrapin Music Camp (TMC) leadership in consultation with campus and School of Music officials has decided to cancel TMC this summer. We know this saddens as many of you as it does us. At this point we do not believe we are in a position where we can a.) prioritize camper and faculty safety to the level we desire and is required and b.) ensure the musical experiences and communal music making that are central to TMC will be able to happen in a meaningful way that will live up to the expectations that have come to be a part of the camp.
We will take the summer to plan for a full return in 2022. At this point, it is not clear whether we will be able to prioritize enrollment for those of you indicating interest the past couple of years, but we will use the email list to keep you informed about the 2022 camp. Likely, we'll be able to announce camp dates in the early fall and will plan to open registration around February 1, as we do every year.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
All the best,
Mike Hewitt, TMC Director
Campers receive small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the University of Maryland School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland.
Each day features performances, elective classes and large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir. The week-long camp culminates in a public concert of all participants.
The camp is designed to accomplish the following goals:
- Provide participants with heightened musical experiences to enhance school and/or private instruction
- Develop musicianship and advance instrumental and vocal technique through ensemble and solo performance
- Offer elective classes that will promote awareness of multiple methods for expressing music
- Bring together students from throughout the Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area to share a unique musical experience
To this end, the camp offers the following experiences:
- Large ensemble rehearsals for band, orchestra and choir musicians
- Small group lessons and sectionals taught by outstanding K-12 faculty from the School of Music and throughout the state of Maryland
- Participation in elective music classes
- Daily performances by university faculty and professional musicians
- Culminating performance at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
Vocalists at any level and musicians with at least one year of study are welcome to join for a week of musical enrichment, growth and new opportunities.
Check back in February 2022 for camp registration information. Registrations are processed in the order in which they are received and some popular instrument areas and classes are in high demand and close quickly. Register early to ensure that a space in the camp is reserved for you!
We recommend registering with your camper present as they will need to prioritize elective class selections during the registration process and it is more complicated to do this at a later time.
Check back in February 2022 for payment information.
Note: The TMC accepts online payments only, with credit/debit cards. If you need assistance with this, please contact us.
The camp Tax ID# is 5-2600-2033